Certain medications that are prescribed for your pet may be for long-term treatment. Many of these are so-called Prescription Only Medications (or POMs) which can only be dispensed by a veterinary surgeon to "an animal under their care". For an animal to be deemed to be under a veterinary surgeon's care, they must have been physically examined within an appropriate period of time and the veterinary surgeon must have specific knowledge of that that animal and its clinical condition.
For most medications your pet needs to be assessed by one of our vets at least every 3-6 months, although sometimes this may be more frequent if they are on a new medication or dose. These examinations are necessary for the following reasons:
- to ensure that your pet is not suffering from any side-effects from the drugs
- ensures that the medication is appropriate and to discuss possible new treatment regimes that may have become available
- means we are able to weigh your animal and ensure the dose is still correct
- is a legal requirement for ourselves to ensure you and your pet are still ‘under our care’ legally
The main exception to these rules is preventive treatment for fleas and worms. Although these are still POM medications and far more advanced and effective than similar products found in pet shops and supermarkets, we only need to have examined your pet within the last 12 months to dispense them.
Complete the Repeat Prescription Request Form below or call the surgery where the reception staff will take your order. Please ensure you provide us with a contact telephone number in case we need to speak to you regarding your prescription request.
After placing your order, we ask you give us at least 48 hours notice from requesting a repeat prescription before collecting. This:
- allows us time to check your pet's clinical records to make sure the medication is still correct and appropriate for your animal or if they require a re-examination
- gives the vet time to issue and dispense the prescription
- allows us time to order some of the products needed if they are not in stock
- means that your prescription can be ready for when you attend the surgery
Please note we cannot and do not routinely authorise repeats of either antibiotics or ear-drops.
The standard charge for a re-examination is £42.00. This will apply for any repeat medication consultations. Additional charges will apply for any tests deemed necessary upon examination.
Clients are welcome to request the cost of medications available from the surgery.
Clients are also welcome to request a written prescription for medications (at a cost of £17.00) allowing you to obtain these products from a pharmacy.
Please note all flea and wormers will be now be posted to the address we have on your account. There is a small P&P charge of £1.80 unless you are a Pet Health Plan member then postage if free of charge. This is to prevent the number of clients coming to the practice during the current lockdown rules. All other essential medication can be collected in person as usual.